Many women exhaust themselves trying to increase the volume in their hair at home. I have some tips if volume is what you seek!
There are two alternatives to get bigger hair:
Give yourself a good foundation of volume — using a round brush or velcro rollers; or
Visit Blow Dry Express semi-monthly.
If you are looking to achieve volume through your blow dry, prep wet hair with a volumizing products – special shampoo, special conditioner and special mouse. I love the L’Oreal products which we use two or three different ones per client depending on hair cut, length, density and effect.
Alternative 1 – Self-Medicate
Whether you choose to use a round brush or velcro rollers, many basic concepts are the same.
STEP 1 – Preparation
You need to over-direct the hair when blow drying with your round brush or when inserting your velcro rollers.
Pull the hair in the opposite direction from which it falls
- Take sections of hair and pull up and over in order to give the roots lift
- Hold the hair with tension.
- Place the hair dryer above your head
If you are blow drying the hair, it should be about 80 percent dry by the time you start using your round brush. If you are using velcro rollers, apply some heat on them with the blow dryer, and let them set, or you can put them in your hair when it is completely dry.
- 1a. If you do choose to put the rollers in your hair when it’s dry, spray with some flexible, but strong hold hair spray, shoot some hot air from the blow dryer on them in the direction they are rolled, and let them set and leave them in while you do your makeup. When you gently remove them, you will have great lift at the roots and a sexy sway and bounce to your hair.
- 1b. If you choose the round brush avenue, insert your brush at the root and continue to hold it in the over-directed position while applying heat in the direction of growth. Bring the round brush through to the mid-shaft and ends. A great trick is to shoot heat at your roots from underneath while holding the hair up. This ensures added volume
Get a focused!
Focus the nozzle on your blow dryer. Buy a focuser. A focuser helps you direct and concentrate your heat. Make sure the heat you’re blowing follows the direction the hair grows/falls. If the heat is shooting in the opposite direction, it will cause unwanted frizz.
You are halfway there. You want to make sure the volume stays.
Step 2 Make Sure the Big Volume Lasts for More than two hours
You can hairspray your hair and/or tease/backcomb your hair, smooth, hairspray, and go. Comb by lifting at the apex or crown of your head and at each side of your part and over-directing are essential. The spray, comb and tease are consistent musts for creating voluminous hair.
- Take thinner sections and at least two to three of them at each area of the head to create a solid roundness and foundation of volume
- Lift each section and using either a tail comb or teasing brush
- Backcomb the hair underneath the section by combing down to the root starting from the root and moving through the mid-shaft of the hair — do not comb or brush back and forth; this will add frizz and a little damage in for extra measure
- Backcomb in ONE direction.
- Smooth over with either your comb or brush.
- Bathe your hair with hairspray
Volumizing should only take about 2 – 3 hours and once you become expert you can reduce the time to 90 minutes.
Alternative 2 – Visit the Professional Expert
Go online to Blow Dry Express, book and appointment and tell me you want big volume at the beginning of your appointment.
You can decide which alternative is easier, faster, cheaper and better.